Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
EndNote Q&A session - online webinar
This session is hosted by EndNote on Fridays's at 4pm Irish time.
This is an open question-and-answer drop-in webinar, much like a professor's office hours. Drop in any time during the session to get answers about how to use EndNote. Registration is required, but participants' identities will not be shared during the call.
Upcoming sessions and registration is available on the EndNote training page
Trouble Shooting. If you are experiencing difficulties or getting errors when using EndNote the following steps can be used to diagnose and fix the issue.
- If you are using an older version of EndNote upgrading to EndNote X8 could solve the issue.
- Check the Cite While You Write Preferences in Word.
Word 2007/2010/2013: Click the Preferences button and select the Application tab. Make sure the EndNote Desktop application is selected
Word 2003/2008/2011: Click the Tools menu > EndNote (or EndNote Web) > Cite While You Write Preferences and select the Application tab. Make sure the EndNote Desktop application is selected
- If the issue persists, open a new blank Word document and try to use EndNote CWYW plug-in.
- If this issue only happens when working with a specific document, this may be caused by corrupted field codes in that document. Please use the instructions from the EndNote supplier's help website to clean up field codes in this document.
you should now be able to work with this cleaned up version of the document.
- If the issue persists with all documents, you would need to uninstall and reinstall the EndNote plug-in Please make sure your web browser eg Internet Explorer is closed during the installation of EndNote plug-in. To uninstall the plug in on a PC please follow these steps
- In Word, click on the File menu and select Options.
- Click Add-ins on the left.
- At the bottom of the screen on the right, click the Go button next to Manage COM Add-ins.
- Uncheck Reference Manager Cite While You Write and click OK.